Re: xiniman on slack

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:23:53 +0200
> From: cardie <cardiel gmx ch>
> To: gnome-list gnome org
> Subject: Ximian on slackware?
>
> Hi, I have tried to install ximian on slackware 7.1 , but when i dowload the installer and runs it i get a msg " unknown platform". Someone know how to install with slack and if there are packages instead of graphical installer?.

Apperently the gnome people feel us slackers should change OS :P  I suppose that is what we get for using a platform developed by RH.

> They don't support Slackware because there ain't a solid packaging
> system that checks for dependencies and stuff....

And it isn't needed to install programs.....

> Slackware also isn't
> in the list of supported platforms for Gnome. But if you've got the time
> and the patience to compile the stuff from source (and you will if you
> run Slackware :-) ), it works fine on 7.1....

www.linuxmafia.org has some gnome packages.....all compiled by the same guy so you can actually track them to a *centralised source* (something that is not possible when you try to install gnome from the source).  I asked him if he
plans on packaging 1.4 when it is released and he said he does.