Re: xiniman on slack

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:18:32AM -0800 or thereabouts, Noah Roberts wrote:
> > From: cardie <cardiel gmx ch>
> >
> > Hi, I have tried to install ximian on slackware 7.1 , but when i dowload
> the installer and runs it i get a msg " unknown platform". Someone know
> how to install with slack and if there are packages instead of graphical
> installer?.

http://primates.ximian.com/~aaron/slack.html might help:

    You can download pre-rolled tgzs from [1]Poland, or get
    the [2]binary rpms or [3]source rpms from the Red Hat directory at
    [4]our ftp site, and install by hand with rpm. Or you can convert them
    to slack packages with rpm2tgz. And, in a brave trick of hackery, you
    can fool the graphical installer into thinking you're a Red Hat user.
                                The command:
    echo "Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)" > /etc/redhat-release
    has been reported to make the installer work, although you're likely
    to have difficulty with one or another dependency somewhere.

   1. ftp://ftp.slackware.pl/packages/helix
   2. ftp://ftp.ximian.com/ximian/distributions/RedHat-6/
   3. ftp://ftp.ximian.com/ximian/distributions/RedHat-6/SRPMS/

> Apperently the gnome people feel us slackers should change OS :P
> I suppose that is what we get for using a platform developed by RH.

Eh? Ximian just says "here's how to try, but we don't support Slack".
Where did Red Hat come into this? I think the GNOME hackers who have
never worked at RH might be a little offended at the idea that RH
developed all of GNOME.

> > They don't support Slackware because there ain't a solid packaging
> > system that checks for dependencies and stuff....
>
> And it isn't needed to install programs.....

It isn't needed if you want to compile from scratch. It isn't needed
if you're using the GNOME packages off Slackware 7.1. It's probably
not needed if you grab the rpms or debs and run alien (dunno). It is
needed by the Ximian installer though.

> www.linuxmafia.org has some gnome packages.....all compiled by the same
> guy so you can actually track them to a *centralised source* (something
> that is not possible when you try to install gnome from the source).

The tarballs that you find at http://download.gnome.org are taken
directly from CVS. That's pretty central. All the distros take those
as the base for their packages and then tweak and then build.
Distro-provided packages are pretty central, too, if you meant
"central source for packager" rather than "central source for code".

And
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2001-March/msg00313.html
contains an up to date order for compiling the lot from tarballs
on Slackware from Barthel the last time the subject of GNOME of
Slackware was discussed.

Which is exactly one week ago.

For future reference, http://mail.gnome.org/archives/ is a search
interface for all the GNOME lists hosted at gnome.org.