Re: Two newbie questions

Zitiere Telsa Gwynne <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk>:

> Gah. Know the problem. Can't help. With WindowMaker it's even better.
> However many workspaces I closed the session with, I get one when I
> restart it and everything clustered onto that one workspace.

hm...   (using wmaker as my WM, I never experienced "vanishing" workspaces)

cannot resist to ask the obvious question comin' to my mind:

Do you configure wmaker running on his own once before
using it under gnome ?

Whenever I want to make static changes to the way wmaker lies under my
gnome, I start it up on its own, as the default-setting is not to save
session-information, here, so that it doesn't do things I want gnome to do.

Then, after explicitly saving the setup in the configuration-managementtool
and in the menu normally reachable by f12 (workspace->save session)
its cemented for me ..

> > (2) I cannot cut-and-paste from one window to another,
> > though I can always cut-and-paste to Netscape>File>Open page .
>
> How are you trying to cut and paste? Apologies if this is teaching
> grandmothers to suck eggs, but are you familiar with how cut and
> paste works in X? I gather it's somewhat different from how Windows
> does it. And what are you trying to cut and paste between?

In addition to the general X-cut-and-paste-behaviour, there is some nice little
applet called clipboard-applet.
You can "put something into it" by marking and then pressing button on it;
afterwards, if you want to use the last dropped text, it's one left-click and
the paste, for previous "drops" it keeps a history accessible by right-clickin'.

Nifty little thing that...

		greets, drifter
--
drifter outerlounge de