Re: Two newbie questions

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 07:53:54PM +0100 or thereabouts, the drifter wrote:
> Zitiere Telsa Gwynne <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk>:
>
> > Gah. Know the problem. Can't help. With WindowMaker it's even better.
> > However many workspaces I closed the session with, I get one when I
> > restart it and everything clustered onto that one workspace.
>
> hm...   (using wmaker as my WM, I never experienced "vanishing" workspaces)
> cannot resist to ask the obvious question comin' to my mind:
> Do you configure wmaker running on his own once before
> using it under gnome ?

Excellent question. I apologise, but I can't remember now :) It was a
long time ago. I don't even start and stop X enough on this machine to
remember whether the workspaces came up this time. (Apparently this X
session has been running since the first week in February.)

> Whenever I want to make static changes to the way wmaker lies under my
> gnome, I start it up on its own, as the default-setting is not to save
> session-information, here, so that it doesn't do things I want gnome to do.
> Then, after explicitly saving the setup in the configuration-managementtool
> and in the menu normally reachable by f12 (workspace->save session)
> its cemented for me ..

I'll investigate this on the boxes I have here, which collectively run
various distros with various versions of X, wmaker and GNOME. I do remember
messing about with something similar because at one stage I had both
wmaker and GNOME trying to do session-management and it all got very
silly. Thanks for the tip.

Telsa