Re: New Features list (was Re: Urgent: Info needed for paper: What exactly is new in 1.4)

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 12:51:40PM +0100 or thereabouts, Jens Finke wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, George wrote:
> > I suppose I'm somewhat qualified to say stuff about this, but I'm
> > sure I forgot a tun of stuff here.

long list snipped

> Is there a list with nearly _all_ features which are new in Gnome 1.4?
> Especially those tiny little thingies like above would be nice.
> Maybe every core module maintainer could generate such a list and then we
> could put it online somewhere. Just a thought.

If anyone is really bored and has time to spare, a really helpful thing
they could do is to go through (groan) all the ChangeLogs for packages
and hunt for things like this and make a list of user-friendly
explanations which can be used in the release announcement.

Some ChangeLogs, like Pan's, are brilliant, and explain that
"reassigned fooval to no longer return NULL when hitting an overflow
exception in the sink plunger" actually means "now pan makes coffee
for you -and- does the washing-up". Others, um, aren't :)

I'm not sure where you'd send them, though. Perhaps someone would like
to volunteer to collate them and feed them to the 1.4 release team
in an orderly manner.

Telsa