Re: Gnome confused about window managers

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 10:04:29AM +0000 or thereabouts, Bart Kuik wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2001 19:50:09 -0800, Daniel Russel wrote:
> > I have my default window manager set to be enlightenment, but every time I
> > log out and back in it runs sawfish instead. If I go to the gnome
> > configuration tool, it reports that Enlightenment is the current window
> > manager, and if I switch to Sawfish and then back to Enlightenment,
> > everything works.
> > Also, when sawfish is my window manager, I can't configure it since the
> > sawfish panels in the gnome configuration tool report that sawfish is not
> > running, even when it is.
> > Thanks
>
> Hard to answer without knowing what version of Gnome you are running....

Actually, I've seen the control-center get window managers wrong on
nearly every version of Gnome and every distro I've played with :(
It's even in (guess :)) the FAQ, although with one of my crappier
answers, which just says basically, "control-center is undergoing a
rewrite and with luck the new version will improve on this".

I haven't seen Gnome actually start the wrong window manager on a
restart when I have changed and saved and quit. I have had no window
manager often enough to be underwhelmed by this.

The wretched thing also highlights one window manager as running
and offers me the chance to run the configuration tool for a different
window manager; and so on.

I don't think it's distro-specific or Gnome version-specific. I've
seen it on all versions of RH from 6.0 up, and on Debian woody (or
maybe it was potato), and on several releases of Gnome, and with
combinations of window managers ranging from just sawfish and twm to
enlightenment, windowmaker, twm, and fvwm2.

Telsa