Re: gnome-terminal

The .profile files are read only once at login time.
You are confusing with shell session file that are exécuted
at each shell invocation ( interactive or in script)
in .profile, define
export ENV=$HOME/.kshrc
and put in it what you want to execute at each invocation.

under ksh, you can use the '-p' as in
#!/bin/ksh -p
if you don't want to read the $ENV file.

read the manual for exact names
JRC

PS:
for compatibility do
ln -s .profile .bash_profile
ln -s .kshrc .bashrc
or the inverse ... -:)

--
Nur der Kleingeist hält Ordnung, das Genie beherrscht das Chaos.
Seuls les petits esprits aiment l'ordre, le génie maitrîse le chaos.