Re: Fw: gnome for slackware Linux

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 02:56:47PM +0100 or thereabouts, Frederic Bellaiche wrote:
> Tommy_T wrote:
> >
> > I'm interested in loading GNOME, but I don't see any listing for the
> > Slackware
> > version of Linux. Is it available?
>
> Slackware 7.0 (glibc based) comes with October Gnome.
> I guess you can get tarballs from Slackware's
> web site.
> Slackware 4.0 (libc5 based) comes with an earlier version
> of Gnome.

Slackware 7.1 has Gnome 1.2 on it.

Slackware users show up regularly on here and IRC, and report varying
degrees of success with installing extremely up to date versions. It
seems to vary with how far they have taken the "put things precisely
where you want" thing and whether they have such things as docbook
tools, the Gnome variants of those, and other things installed first.
If you have a pretty default install, you can even trick the ximian
installer into thinking it's running on RH and installing all the
latest stuff.

http://primates.ximian.com/~aaron/slack.html

Looking at that page, there's even tgz's too.

Telsa