Re: GNOME Weirdness

On 2001.03.15 04:01:11 -0500 Jens Finke wrote:
> On 14 Mar 2001, George Farris wrote:
>
> > What we need is a really good filemanager.  Nautilus is a great file
> > viewer but as a file manager it's far far to slow.  It also would be no
> > good for a newbie as it still isn't that well behaved.  I've had to
> kill
> > off nautilus/mozilla processes.
>
> I noticed this too. Its very annoying, 'cos without executing
> nautilus-clen.sh and explicitly kill gconfd-1 it won't start again.

Ah ha.  Maybe that'll get Nautilus running on my system...

> > There needs to be some kind of copy/paste or file shelf function to
> > temporarily hold files one is moving or coping.
>
> There has been a long discussion in the early days of nautilus
> development
> about this feature. They came up with the result, that it's not intuitive
> and consistent so they dropped support for it.

What!?!  Now I really do have a distaste for Eazel/Nautilus.  That's the
stupidest thing I've ever heard.  It's like the one feature I wanted in
GMC, and now they're never going to add it?  And not intuitive?  Even the
biggest idiot understands how that works in Windows, what's wrong with it
in Nautilus!?

Argh!

> > Trying to have two windows open on a small screen and
> > drag between them is a joke.  Sorry Eazel but it's just not good enough
> > as a file manager - yet.
>
> Well, you can turn off all the menu and side bars seperatly for every
> window. So you can have only a simple window with directory contents. I
> don't think one can implement an application which uses less space.

Ya, I've done that, and opening a new directory is still less-than-snappy
on my 1ghz Athlon....