Re: GNOME Weirdness

This seems to have something to do with the 2.4 kernel and oaf.  It's a
mess I think.  I really, really like GNOME but lately things are just
slow.  It almost seems GNOME is living up to it's old self from a year
or so ago when people complained about it being slow.  Bloat comes to
mind but I guess it's the way of the future:-)  With a 900MHz athalon,
256Megs of memory and ATA100 drives it should just fly.  Maybe I'm
expecting to much.

Maybe oaf and corba need to be coded in assembly:-)

What we need is a really good filemanager.  Nautilus is a great file
viewer but as a file manager it's far far to slow.  It also would be no
good for a newbie as it still isn't that well behaved.  I've had to kill
off nautilus/mozilla processes.  There needs to be some kind of
copy/paste or file shelf function to temporarily hold files one is
moving or coping.  Trying to have two windows open on a small screen and
drag between them is a joke.  Sorry Eazel but it's just not good enough
as a file manager - yet.

At any rate what you can do to help is kill oaf off with oaf-slay every
time you log out.  That seems to help.

Any response from GNOME developers on this would be welcome.