Re: gnome-init fails

jgotts linuxsavvy com wrote:

> Are you trying to run a program as root when you logged in as a different user?

Yes.  I su'd to root in an xterm window and tried to run the program.
What confuses me is that the exact same executable does or does not
produce this message depending upon the name under which it was
invoked.  When invoked as red-carpet (yes, this is red-carpet but I've
seen this on other programs) I do not get an error message.  When
invoked as red-carpet-91, I get an error message.  Its the same object
file.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      13 Mar 4 21:27 red-carpet->red-carpet-91
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 2228993 Mar 3 02:55 red-carpet-91

Can someone explain this behavior?  Thanks.

David