Re: international

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 08:41:00PM +0200 or thereabouts, Ole Laursen wrote:
> > If I have a English/French Gnome interface, can I use
> > Japanese/Chinese/Korean programs ?
>
> If you mean run programs with Japanese/Chinese/Korean texts instead
> of English or French, try something like this in a terminal:
>   LANG=xx_XX executable-name
> For instance
>   LANG=it_IT gnumeric
[snip]
> I think you might encounter some trouble with fonts and input methods
> with non-European languages though. Perhaps the easiest thing to do is
> to create another user account and set that up for the language you
> want to try.

I'm all for the test-user approach: I have several.

On Japanese text, Yukihiro Nakai wrote a doc called Unofficial
GNOME I18N Development Guidelines. It is not entirely complimentary
about aspects of Gnome programming :) But it does include how to set
up, test, and use a Japanese environment for testing applications'
support of internationalisation (for obvious reasons, this is
abbreviated to 'i18' :)) .

I tried it, and promptly spent ages opening as many different
applications in as many different languages as I could :)

The site is at http://www.gnome.gr.jp/~nakai/i18n/ and the specific
link you want is at the top of it:
http://www.gnome.gr.jp/~nakai/i18n/jpenv.txt

Telsa