Resolved some font issues

Okay, I'm answering my own question regarding turning off xfs under RH 7.x (and having Abiword etc. still work).  Many of you will say "well duh!" after reading this, but some other folks have been having similar problems apparently; and since no authoritative voices have jumped in I figured it leaves it wide open for the rest of us. :-P

After doing some poking around on-line, I figured out I needed to run 'xset q' and look at the actual current font path. Some of the entries I'd made in XF86Config-4 weren't showing up in this list - this included the speedo, type1, and abisource fonts. As it turns out, the problem was that although I added the correct FontPath entries, I hadn't added the corresponding "Load" entries for the necessary font modules.  Once I added the freetype, speedo, type1, and bitmap modules everything was fine (apparently TrueType support is built in by default?).

It may be that I don't need all four of these modules (or all my existing FontPaths, for that matter), but I haven't taken the time to try eliminating any of them yet.

--
Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering