Specifying session at startup?

Is there a way to set up two different Gnome configurations and
sessions, and specify which one to invoke at startup? My situation is
that I'm running Gnome both on my console and via VNC, and with the
latter, I have to use a smaller resolution and no background image
(the latter because VNC seems to be pig-slow about dealing with
them). So I'd like to be able to specify at startup either "smaller
screen, no background" or "larger screen, yes background", along with
maybe a different set of apps as well.

--
-Chip Olson. | ceo at shore dot net
"You ask me why we celebrate, when nothing has been won;