Re: Change default desktop - or "clone" existing desktop?

Hi,

I needed to perform a function similar to this for an application we
develop.  The way I did it was to setup a skeleton account say "user1"
then setup the environment as required.  I then developed a script that
I would run on the new naked account I wanted to look just like the
skeleton account.  The script would basicly copy all the files and
directories to the new account and then do a search and replace for
"user1" in all regular files and replace it with the new users name
(e.g. user2). If you what I can send you a copy of my script you could
modify.

Thad

Glynn Foster wrote:

> Heya,
> Hum, I'm willing to go out on the limb to say that this is definitely
> a requirement for 2.0 and I would love to see this in place. AFAIK
> this is already been done with the panel in so far as the sys admin
> can lock down the configuration whenever he/she wants - and then it
> is just a case of coming up with the right configuration to reduce
> damage :)
>         Anyway, difficult/impossible for 1.4 - doable for 2.0
>                 [I would think anyway]
>
>                                 See ya,
>                                         Glynn ;)
>
> "Stuart D. Gathman" wrote:
> >
> > We want to set up a number of X terminals connected to a Linux server
> > running Gnome 1.4.  We need individual logins for mail access, but want
> > to be able to give each user a simplified desktop setup.  We tried using
> > cp -R to copy all files from the home directory of a user configured the
> > way we want to a new user.  (We remembered to change to ownership of all
> > the copied files.)  Gnome did not recognize the copied configuration.
> >
> > How can we copy desktop setups?  If this is not possible, how can we
> > change the default desktop?
> >
> > <flame resistant suit>
> > Finally, can we disable or hide access to desktop configuration for
> > users so configured?  This is a "kiosk" mode with logins, and user
> > support is a big problem if the menu options and buttons are not exactly
> > as we configured them.  We are talking non-computer-literate users.
> > ("OK, now look for a picture of a footprint.  See it?  Good.  Now press
> > the left mouse button.  Do you see the line that says programs?  OK, now
> > move the mouse .....")
> > </flame resistant suit>
> >
> > --
> > Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>
> > Business Management Systems Inc.  Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax: 703 591-6154
> > "Confutatis maledictis, flamis acribus addictis" - Mozart background
> > song for the Microsoft "Where do you want to go from here?" commercial.

Thad F. Peck
Technical Associate
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Ave.
Building 132S, Room 2358
P.O. Box 808, MS: L-184
Livermore, CA 94551
Email:  peck6 llnl gov   Phone:  925-422-4673	 FAX:    208-246-0653
Pager:  925-423-7705, Enter 04128 then number to be displayed