Re: Change default desktop - or "clone" existing desktop?

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 05:15:10PM -0400 or thereabouts, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> How can we copy desktop setups?  If this is not possible, how can we
> change the default desktop?
> <flame resistant suit>
> Finally, can we disable or hide access to desktop configuration for
> users so configured?  This is a "kiosk" mode with logins, and user
> support is a big problem if the menu options and buttons are not exactly
> as we configured them.  We are talking non-computer-literate users.

For Gnome up to about now:

GNOME Administrators Guide:
http://www.darboux.uklinux.net/gnome/

gnome-config documentation:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnome/gnome-gnome-config.html
(scroll down for the files about system defaults and overrides)

Note that I do not know whether this will hold true for Gnome 2.0.

In addition, Jamie Zawinski wrote up an account of setting up
kiosks running Linux with Gnome:

   Linkname: DNA Lounge: Source Code: Diskless Linux Kiosks

Telsa