Re: No sound device found when trying to play MP3

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 02:39:57PM +0600 or thereabouts, Stanislav Okhvat wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just installed Red Hat 7 and configured sound under the root user.
> The root user doesn't have any problems with sound events or playing
> mp3. However, the other user that I registered for myself doesn't have
> sound. When I try to play MP3s it says that the sound device cannot be
> found. Sound events in wm cannot be heard either. I figure I need to
> chmod some directories so the user can be allowed to use the sound
> device, but which ones?

I am not sure this will help, since this looks more like a permissions
problem, yes. But are you playing mp3s with xmms? I think it wants
you to select "esound" in the Options->Preferences->Output Plugin
box. If it says OSS driver, then xmms is trying to talk directly
to the soundcard instead of talking to esound.  "esound" should
work better.

Telsa