Using GNOME in non-default directories -- $GNOME_PATH

Hi all,

I want to compile and use Gnome in several directories, so there is no
unique prefix like /usr or /usr/local. Why? Well, the package system
which I'm using does not does permit files of more than one package
(gnome-libs, gnome-core, ...) to be in one directory. However, with
symbolic links (cp -s /gnome-packages/*/*/* ~/mygnome), I have one
directory with (links to) all files. When I set GNOME_PATH accordingly
(to ~/mygnome) before starting gnome-session, it keeps telling me that
it can't find the system menu and the icons.

What do I do wrong?

--
Rutger Nijlunsing, rutger @ null.net ----------------------------- Linux! --
Don't BiCapitalize without extremely good reason: it messes up the natural