Re: Using GNOME in non-default directories -- $GNOME_PATH

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 04:38:39PM +0100, rutger null net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to compile and use Gnome in several directories, so there is no
> unique prefix like /usr or /usr/local. Why? Well, the package system
> which I'm using does not does permit files of more than one package
> (gnome-libs, gnome-core, ...) to be in one directory. However, with
> symbolic links (cp -s /gnome-packages/*/*/* ~/mygnome), I have one
> directory with (links to) all files. When I set GNOME_PATH accordingly
> (to ~/mygnome) before starting gnome-session, it keeps telling me that
> it can't find the system menu and the icons.

I found the solution myself which might be useful to other people
searching the archives of this mailingslist:

During compiling, set:
bash-2.02$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/mygnome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
bash-2.02$ export CFLAGS="-O2 -msupersparc $CFLAGS"
bash-2.02$ export CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/mygnome/include $CPPFLAGS"
bash-2.02$ export LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/mygnome/lib $LDFLAGS"
bash-2.02$ export GNOME_LIBCONFIG_PATH=$HOME/mygnome/lib

During running gnome, set:
export GNOMEDIR=$HOME/mygnome

--
Rutger Nijlunsing, rutger @ null.net ----------------------------- Linux! --
Don't BiCapitalize without extremely good reason: it messes up the natural