Re: Dual Monitors

Paul Wessel <pwessel hawaii edu> writes:

> Dear list-
>
> I have browsed the FAQ but am unable to solve this problem:
> I have RH7 running on a Dell with a Matrox 400 dual-output card
> running Gnome 4.0.1.  Following advice I have tried startx -- +xinerama
> but the 2nd monitor receives no signal at all.  I have two Dell 17" LCD
> panels that can do 1280x1024 native resolution and would like to use
> both with Linux, either as a giant 2560x1024 screen or as 2 separate
> screens.  It is not clear if GNome will let me do that or if I must pay and
> install Accelerated X.  Any advice will be much appreciated.

XFree86 4 will let you do it (it's got little to do with Gnome).  I just
followed the directions at:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO.html

and things went smoothly for me with a nearly identical configuration.

While testing, don't use startx to start X, though, just run X (as root)
directly as it starts up much more quickly and eliminates lots of other
uncertainty.  Also be sure that the file you're editing (e.g.,
/etc/X11/XF86Config) is the file that the X process actually reads (make
some syntax error in the file you think it's using and be sure X no
longer starts, or use strace).

You'll end up with a single 2560x1024 :0 display which you can drag
windows across, etc.

Greg