Re: Dual Monitors

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 08:02:27PM +0000, John Gluck wrote:
> What are you his mother???
>
> He asked for help not criticism. You never do anything without thinking???

  I just want to point out that by sending a mail to 100's of
persons on a mailing-list, about a topic not specific to this
mainling list, is not efficient and makes a lot of people loose
time.
  Especially when whose informations can be found immediately
and *far more accurately* by a simple web search on a keywork
he did knew.

> Then again maybe your post was done without thinking

  No, I replied, gave the correct (I think) informations/links
to solve his problem, and asked he makes the minimal research
on his own the next time.
  I'm one of the founder of the first French LUG, I have been
helping other people to install and use Linux since 92, and I can
tell that the best thing a person new to linux can acquire is
knowledge and methodology on how to fix problems (because on
Linux/Unix one can actually fix problems in a rathional way).
Nowadays the very first thing to do if one have web access to
gather knowledge about a problem is to use a search engine to
find informations about the problem and solutions.
  I have also seen people getting tired of answering always and
always the same questions, some stopped answering and some built
the HOWTOs one of our most precious resources for newcomers and
error solving. Consider also that when the quality of the
discussion gets bad or the questions gets too off-topic, the
knowledgeable people simply quits, it's everybody self interest
to keep the level of discussions/questions on any mailing list
high enough. And a bit of education from time to time is a good
way to reach this goal in my experience.

  So no, I'm not his mother, and my post was done with thinking
and at least some reasoning,

Daniel

veillard redhat com  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/