Dual Monitors

Dear list-

I have browsed the FAQ but am unable to solve this problem:
I have RH7 running on a Dell with a Matrox 400 dual-output card
running Gnome 4.0.1.  Following advice I have tried startx -- +xinerama
but the 2nd monitor receives no signal at all.  I have two Dell 17" LCD
panels that can do 1280x1024 native resolution and would like to use
both with Linux, either as a giant 2560x1024 screen or as 2 separate
screens.  It is not clear if GNome will let me do that or if I must pay and
install Accelerated X.  Any advice will be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

--
Paul Wessel, Professor and Chair

phone/fax: (808) 956-4778/5154