gnome-pilot fails to contact Palm

I'm not sure it this is the right list for my question, but:

I've just connected a Palm IIIxe to my Linux box, and I'm trying to set
up gnome-pilot to sync with it, but with no luck so far. When I get to
the "Initial Sync" step in "Gnome Pilot Settings", then press the
HotSync button, *Nothing* happens. - No connection, no error message (on
the desktop, that is, I do get one on the Palm after a while), no sync
log, nothing written to the system log.

Any ideas what is wrong? And where do I start looking for errors when I
get no messages or anything?

- Toralf