Re: Red Carpet question

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:43:03AM -0600, Paul E Johnson wrote:
> In all this flurry of mail, I got curious.  I think it is a big problem
> if any automated program installs packages that I don't want or need.  I
> don't like the helix-update because it does not separate "updates" from
> "required new packages" from "optional feature stuff you can install if
> you want".
>
> Does Red Carpet not make a distinction there either?

Yes, it makes the distinction.  You subscribe to channels that roughly
correspond to distributions.  There's a summary that shows all urgent
updates and all recommended updates to everything you have installed, just
as in helix-update.  However, you can go look at each channel individually
and trigger an update there.  When you do, you are presented with a list of
packages that will be updated as well as dependent packages that will also
be updated; the latter are in red and are marked as "required for these
updates". You can also install and uninstall packages in a separate
pane... These have similar behavior, showing in red packages that MUST be
installed or removed in order for your request to happen.  Must less opaque
than helix-update.

Bret
--
Bret Mogilefsky * Mgr. SCEA Developer Support * mogul gelatinous com