Installation errors

Newbie/Windoze refugee question, can't find any reference in the FAQs
I've found.

When I run the installer script, whether I pick "typical" or "custom",
the script reports that I don't have enough space in the root partition.
It claims I need exactly the same amount of space as GNOME will require,
which would indicate to me that the installer script thinks the root
partition is full.

Perhaps more likely is that I don't have sufficient permission to do the
installation. Given that this is a science project for me, and an effort
to see if I can wean myself from Windoze, I'm logged in as root, having
not yet created user accounts. I would think that root has all the
permissions I'd need, so I'm stuck.

Where could I find something to read to lead me further down this
particular garden path? Might someone have a tip as to which fork in the
road I should pursue? TIA,

-Ian Duff.