Re: panel disappears after altering UID

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 08:15:49PM -0500 or thereabouts, John Clayton wrote:
> Hey, I changed a UID for a user to match with another system over nfs
> and after logging out/in got the message that /tmp/orbit-username had
> the incorrect ownership.  I fixed it, and after that the panel never
> shows up for that user.  I've messed with everything I can think of, but
> I don't have a lot of experience with Gnome.  I just installed RedHat
> 7.2.   Anyone have an answer?

Has the user restarted it by typing "panel" or "panel &" in an xterm
or gnome-terminal? Could it be that simple?

If not, a guess: there are other files in /tmp created by Gnome
or X. May have dots at the stage so don't show up. I see
.ICE-unix/ .X0-lock, .X11-unix and .esd for a start. Are any of
those the wrong ownership?

Alas, I do not know what they all do, and I do not know who should
own them. (But this is RH 7.2, at least.)

I used to have to remember to get the UIDs right for NFS purposes
too. I don't remember Gnome troubles, but I remember it being a
pest generally.

Telsa