Re: (no subject)

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 11:26:18AM +0200 or thereabouts, Maurice Faber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On installation I have told Red Hat 7.0 that I wanted my TNT2 video card to
> operate on 1024 x 768 px. But it seems it only does 800 x 600 while making
> windows too large for the screen. I have a hard time pushing buttons when I
> cannot drag a window, so I would like to change settings. But where?
>
> I have traversed thru all possible settings, but couldn't find any that deal
> with video card or monitor settings. I think that SUXX! How is it possible,
> with all that open source involvement? Yes I know, I can go write it myself.
> But I have other priorities, so I will get back behind my winblows and suck
> on that...
>
> if you can help out, tnx a lot!

Short workaround: most window managers will let you drag windows
about without needing to click on the titlebar. It's often the
alt-key and middle-click-and-drag. Sometimes it's the alt key
left-click-and-drag. It will depend on your window manager's
defaults. You can use this to drag them into positions where
you can click on the "close" button. But it's a pest to have
to do long-term.

There is one thing to try before going any further. Whilst in
GNOME, try control, alt and the plus key from the numberpad.
Together. Several times. It is possible you have multiple
resolutions set up already. If so, you can cycle through them
with that combination.

GNOME doesn't have settings which allow you to reconfigure X.
I suspect it would be tricky to do from inside X anyway. You
will need to quit X (and stop gdm/xdm/kdm running if they're
restarting X) and use whatever tool you prefer to reconfigure X.

Before using them, if you have an X setup that is working, even
if not perfectly, make a backup of /etc/X11/XF86Config just in
case. If the results of trying to reconfigure are a disaster,
put your copy of that file back there.

On Red Hat, the X setup tool is Xconfigurator. It must be run
as root. You can tell it --preferx3 or --preferx4. I can't
remember whether RH 7.0 comes with X4.0 though, so this may
not help. (If it does come with X4.0, then the file to back
up first is XF86Config-4.)

The tool that comes with XFree86 itself is XF86Setup, I think.
It's possibly not installed by default on RH, but it's on the
distro CDs somewhere.

Some people will advise you to edit the XF86Config(-4) file by
hand. If you are remotely uncomfortable with this idea, then
ignore them. It's a great way to tweak things if you know
what you're doing. It's a great way to mess stuff up if you
don't. :)

Telsa