Re: (no subject)

Telsa,
I don't know whether I thought of posting to the list
in my answer, so I'll partially repeat: the right list
for answer to those problems is: newbie XFree86 Org
A few details on RH installs:
RH 7.0 includes both X3.3.6 and X4.0.1(possibly higher
now, however RH 7.1 uses 4.0.3)
Being very nice the installation program decides for
you which of 3.3.6 or 4.0.1 will be installed
depending on what it thinks would be *nice* for your
hardware configuration (just what one needs)
Assuming RH 7.0 behaves like RH 7.1 then depending
whether you login as root or as a user a different
XF86Config (resp XF86Config-4) might be used -I have 2
different PCs on the one RH 7.1 installed X 4.0.3 and
everything is as it *should*. On the other RH 7.1
installed X 3.3.6 with the following configuration:

root: /root/XF86Config for both 3.3.6 and 4.0.1 (the
format of XF86Config is not the same for X 4.x.x as
for X 3.3.6 so you can see the potential mess)

user: /etc/X11/XF86Config for 3.3.6 and
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for 4.x.x both files are
generated at install time no matter which choice of
version RH 7.1 install made.

Running Xconfigurator may (or not) generate the
*right* config file depending on what the install
program decided was right.
If you have X 4.0.1 better run XFree86 -configure
after having backed-up whichever XF86Config (resp.
XF86Config-4) are around...

NOTE: The only way I have been able to find which
version of X is running is -from a standard console
login- running startx 2>logfile and looking there for
the version which was running...
If this is not enough to confuse anyone...
cheers
Lionel