Re: The future of gnome-pim - and Balsa, too?

On 13 Aug 2001 10:58:19 +0200, christophe barbé wrote:

> Le jeu, 09 aoû 2001 19:01:28, Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :
> > >With Evolution 1.0 soon to be realeased, I'm a bit concerned about the
> > >future of other GNOME applications that implement some of its
> > >functionality, mainly the Calender and Address Book, but to a certain
> > >extent Balsa, too.
> >
> > First,  I am a very happy Evolution user.  Evolution FINALLY plugs a
> > HUGE hole in the Linux application suite,  the calendering etc...
> > actually can interact with other e-mail platforms (cough, Outlook,
> > cough).
> >

> Balsa start nearly in one second.
> Evolution need a few minutes (all tested flavour).

I just tried.  It took me just under 10 seconds to start evolution on my
laptop. It was probably cached but anyway.

> Evoltion doesn't like procmail.

If you use imap it does.  Other than that the filters in evo is great.
I agree that it would be nice to have better support for it though.

> Evolution can't handle big mailbox (subscribe to the linux kernel ml for a
> few weeks and see).

I filter ALL my mails mailinglist mail to one folder.  It's usually over
100 MB large. This is one of the things I'm most impressed with when it
comes to evolution.  Right now the mbox is _only_ 56MB and it's _fast_.

> Evolution is nice for ex-window users but should not kill others MUA, ...

I haven't used windows since 94 and I still think evolution is the best
thing around. It should (and it will not) kill other MUA's though.

/Erik

--
Erik Bågfors               | erik bagfors nu
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 733 279 273