change window manager

Hello,

If my question does not fit this mailing list, I
apologize.

I tried to see the difference of window managers. Now,
I cannot change back to the original setup.

I clicked the menu bar => programs => settings =>
desktop => window manager.  Sawfish was my original
default window manager.  I chose twm and didn't like
it.  I chose sawfish and got a warning message saying
it was not gnome compliant.

I logged out but this did not help.

I deleted all .gnome* and hope gnome would rebuild
good setup but this did not help either.

Does anybody know how I can start a "clean" gnome just
like the interface right after installing linux?

I am running Redhat 7.0.  I don't know how to find the
version of gnome.  I am not sure this is a good reason
to upgrade to Redhat 7.1.

Thank you for your help.

=====
Robert Lee