Re: change window manager

On 07 Aug 2001 17:14:45 -0700, Robert Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If my question does not fit this mailing list, I
> apologize.

This is the right place :-)

> I tried to see the difference of window managers. Now,
> I cannot change back to the original setup.
>
> I clicked the menu bar => programs => settings =>
> desktop => window manager.  Sawfish was my original
> default window manager.  I chose twm and didn't like
> it.  I chose sawfish and got a warning message saying
> it was not gnome compliant.

Hmm... That shouldn't have happened. You might try doing that again. Are
you sure that the error was refering to Sawfish and not to TWM?

> I logged out but this did not help.

Correct. The window manager settings are remembered so you'd still have
TWM.

> I deleted all .gnome* and hope gnome would rebuild
> good setup but this did not help either.

That should work to reset you'r settings so long as you aren't running
GNOME when you do it. If you are then the directories will be recreated
when you log out and you'll be back where you started. If you log into a
terminal (ctrl+alt+F1) and then rm -rf ~/.gnome* you should be able to
log in and have a clean slate (alt+F7 to get back to a graphical login
under Red Hat.)

> Does anybody know how I can start a "clean" gnome just
> like the interface right after installing linux?
>
> I am running Redhat 7.0.  I don't know how to find the
> version of gnome.  I am not sure this is a good reason
> to upgrade to Redhat 7.1.

Probably not a great reason. This should be totally fixable.

> Thank you for your help.

No problem.

--Ben