"File Types and Programs" settings are ignored

Ever since its installation, my File Types and Programs capplet wouldn't
save the changes I make. No matter what I do, it doesn't enable the Try
button, and if I click OK and reopen the applet, all the changes are
reverted to default except for added or deleted mime types. However,
added mime types are also stuck on "none" default action.
Likewise, gmc/nautilus/whatever completely ignores settings I make there
and, for example, always opens mp3 files using mpg123 without a terminal.
However, my ~/.gnome/mime-info/* files reflect the changes I make. They
are only completely ignored in GNOME itself.

I'm using the latest GNOME 1.4 packages in the debian unstable tree.

<bg>