Re: forcing configure to use /opt/gnome

Ben Taylor wrote:

> The main problem is that some directories and -L flags
> are not added for specific sets of *LIBS.  I've tried
> to update some of the sources, but eventually gave
> up because they never made it in to the next release
> of the source.
>
> Apparently, if you're not running linux or installing
> in /usr or /usr/local, the attitude I get from some
> is that we're supposed to live with it.

Indeed. In my case I've managed to get things working running .
/configure --help
and then noting every library that it has an option for and then
specifying them all. But it's tedious and stopping me from automating
the process.
For instance to compile one application I had to type

./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome   \
--with-gnome=/opt/gnome  \
--with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome  \
--with-esd-prefix=/opt/gnome  \
--with-orbit-prefix=/opt/gnome  \
--with-glib-prefix=/opt/gnome  \
--with-oaf-prefix=/opt/gnome  \
--with-gconf-prefix=/opt/gnome  \
--with-gdk-pixbuf-prefix=/opt/gnome

Maybe ./configure needs a --default-prefix or something to try looking
for libaries in first.

On a relatively unrelated note does anyone know why despite adding
entries to /etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig I still can't get
applications that rely on non-standard libraries to run until I put the
path in the environment variable $LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  I'm observing this
with gnome libraries in /opt/gnome/lib and Mesa libraries in
/usr/local/lib.  I suppose I could just set $LD_LIBRARY_PATH from a
login script but I'm trying to figure out the basics of libraries and
linking and ld.so.conf seems  potentially more elegant way.

Regards,
Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 9:30AM  up 24 days, 17:13, 1 user, load averages: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00