GMC and GTK+ errors

OK,

Even after a CLEAN install of freeBSD 4.2 release and Gnome (part of
distro) there are the following problems:

After a while, when starting Gnome as root, GMC starts taking longer and

longer to start up it seems. FOr other users it seems fine, but not as
root. I say only for root because I had the same problem before
reinstalling the entire OS.

ALSO: I get GTK+ errors (all kinds), the most common of which is
something like "GTK+ error: assert( window != NULL) failed" or something

or other.
And also applets crashing, GTK+ FATAL's of all kinds...

Thank you.