Re: Graphical login

If you don't want a service as starting in graphical mode :
get the default state of your systeme
$ grep initdefault /etc/inittab
or 'who -r' on other system than linux
If 3 is the default

$ cd /etc/init.d/rc3.d # depends on the unix you are running
# can be /etc/rc3.d
where the number 3 of rc3.d is the default od inittab

now, find the file (they are usually symlink to ../init.d) where is
started the service (exmaple for xdm)
$ grep xdm S*
comment out the lines relatives to xdm if the file manage
other service you need, or, if it manages only the service
you don't want
rename the file so it doesn't begin with 'S', usually I do
$ mv SYYxxxx _SYYxxxx

If you have a way to manage this with a tool as linuxconf under
linux, it will do it for you. I believe it destroys the symlink.
I prefer to rename so I keep tracks of the fact.