Re: Slow applets

> --On Wednesday, September 13, 2000, 10:33 AM -0400 Yura
> <yura linuxave net> wrote:
>

>>>  If you have a "slow" machine you should consider not running all those
>>> nice panel applets with those useless features (do you realy need to
>>> know the weather?, for example). Applets use memory more than CPU time,
>>> but this is important too. It does not matter how fast is your CPU if
>>> it have to switch pages to disk all the time.
>>>   Don't know if this is your problem but a friend of mine once told me
>>>   he couldn't believe how fast my computer was. He couldn't understand
>>> how he, having a PII-300 32Mb, run gnome slower than me. Of couse he
>>> was using a pixmap theme (looked great of course) and six or seven
>>> useless applets, like gnome-weather which uses up to 5Mb of RAM.
>>>
>>>  Alfonso
>>>

>> Agree with you here!
>> Who the hell writes those dumb applets? How the **** little applet can
>> eat whole 5 megs of RAM???? This jsut pisses me off. Abi World eats
>> something around 5 megs!!
>> I gueess, those applet writers got their hands growing from the wrong
>> place.
>>
>> Grrrrrrrrrr....................
>>

>> Same thing about Pixmap themes, only crazy people can work in such a
>> slowliness. On my P2-333 I can't afford myself using one of those cool
>> Pixmap themes. So I use some pretty cool "basic" themes, but still, M$ is
>> faster :(

What would you consider a "pixmap theme" (im a little new at this)
i would love to speed up my computer so should i stick with the default
gnoem and sawfish themes, are there still pretty themes that arent so
slow.

just wondering
jason

"reality is something, that once you stope believing in it, it doesn't go
away."
                                     Philip K Dick, "Valis"