Re: [Helix/Mandrake7.1] Can't log in to Gnome

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 11:36:55AM +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 09:51:03PM -0800 or thereabouts, Neiras Sarien wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I've just installed Linux Mandrake 7.1 and Helix Code's latest release
> > using the Helix Code automated installation script. There were no
> > errors or warnings during either installation.
> >
> > The Gnome login screen shows up nicely. When I try to log in to a Gnome
> > session, the screen flickers and changes resolutions as X tries to
> > start up, and then I end up back at the Gnome login screen.
>
> Wild guess.
>
> Do you have xdm installed? I found that removing xdm from my RH box
> (7.0 beta) would produce exactly that symptom. Putting it back fixed
> it. I'm not sure which file in xdm it's looking for: it may be in
> xinitrc, if Mandrake has that package too.

  I got that after upgrading my RedHat-7.0 laptop setup with helixcode.
It was actuallly a weird xdm/rpm problem:
  in  /etc/X11/xdm, the Xsession file hadn't been created, I just had
an Xsession.rpmsave and an Xsession.rpmnew. I recovered my old one by
   mv Xsession.rpmsave Xsession

  To find the problem, I enabled debugging in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

  [debug]
  Enable=1

and carefully checked the output produced on /var/log/messages

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/