Re: [Helix/Mandrake7.1] Can't log in to Gnome

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 09:51:03PM -0800 or thereabouts, Neiras Sarien wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've just installed Linux Mandrake 7.1 and Helix Code's latest release
> using the Helix Code automated installation script. There were no
> errors or warnings during either installation.
>
> The Gnome login screen shows up nicely. When I try to log in to a Gnome
> session, the screen flickers and changes resolutions as X tries to
> start up, and then I end up back at the Gnome login screen.

Wild guess.

Do you have xdm installed? I found that removing xdm from my RH box
(7.0 beta) would produce exactly that symptom. Putting it back fixed
it. I'm not sure which file in xdm it's looking for: it may be in
xinitrc, if Mandrake has that package too.

Telsa