Re: CD ROM and Floppy icons won't disappear

Well OK from all the mail I think maybe we need to clear up a few
misconceptions here regarding  use of the floppy drive.

It doesn't matter what the proper operation of the floppy SHOULD be.

It only matters that it isn't like Windows and users can't grasp
that.  Allow me to clarify.  Many suggestions were put forth that I
should "educate" my users.  This is a University-College, there are
hundreds of usesr using the lab computers at various times during a
period from 8:00am to 9:30pm.  Their isn't always someone around to
educate them.

Another point:  We want people to use Linux/Gnome, well if users can
hardly operate a Windows machine they sure as hell aren't going to
figure out mounting and unmounting of floppy disk drives.  Heck even
Richard Stallman was pushing to get supermount fixed and in the kernel
because of this.

In my experience with the public (student body) Windows has made them
rather dumb when it comes to computers.  They can use new applications
because they've done that before but ask them to change the way the
interact with the floppy disk and ... well my friends, they just won't
do it.

It is amazing how this one little issue has caused so much grief.

George Farris - VE7FRG           E-Mail : george gmsys com