gnome - no desktop.

Well I am in trouble. I have no idea how I lost my desktop but nothing comes
up when I try and log into gnome. However when I try logging in to gnome as
'root' I get that nice little picture in the middle of the screen and a
notice about being cautious logging in as root. But that is as far as I get.
It is a bit more than what I get as a user but why are things acting up like
this.

To try and fix this , I used helix-update and go-gnome to install files again.
It made no difference. I am no longer able to get in..

I am sorry I can't offer more of what happened here but if
anyone simply knows how one can get into gnome by what ever methods, it would
be appreciated.

By the way - KDE2 works fine. Its just gnome that has me in trouble.

--
Ted Gervais Coldbrook, Nova Scotia Canada
Email: ve1drg fox nstn ca