starting gnome

I just installed Linux 6.1 onto my computer and start at the shell prompt.  Then when I go to start the gnome session I type "startx".  The session will start without a flaw only about 5% of the time the other 95% it just flashes a  bunch of commands and then the screen goes black.  Please help I am new to this and really am starting to enjoy Linux and would like to start using the graphical interface.

Thanks
Mike Blanco