Re: CVS Build: gnome-libs

> ./configure: line 536: syntax error near unexpected token
> AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)
> ./configure: line 536: 'AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
>
> Ooer! I'm really, really clueless about GNOME in general but gnome-libs-1-0?
> Shouldn't that be, say, gnome-libs-1-2 or something?

No. The branch for the stable is gnome-libs-1-0. It probably should have been something like
gnome-libs-1-x but hindsight is wonderful.

The problem you are having is because aclocal cannot find all the .m4 files it needs.
This is either because you havent installed some or it's looking in the wrong place.
If you haven't installed some, well, I'd need to see what the missing macros are. Further up
in the ./autogen.sh run, it should list something about undeclared macros. If they look like
they might be from packages you haven't installed, then install them.

However, the other reason could be that aclocal isn't looking in the right place. If you are
still using auto* from you distribution then it's probably compiled to look in /usr/share/aclocal
but if you install things from source, they install their .m4 files into /usr/local/share/aclocal/
The trick is to run autogen.sh as
ACLOCAL_FLAGS='-I /usr/local/share/aclocal' ./autogen.sh

(If you are installing things to a different prefix, put that prefix in instead of /usr/local'
Hopefully then it'll find all the right files.

A final way, if you don't want to have to set the ACLOCAL_FLAGS variable every time, and
don't want to put it into your startup script, then compile auto* from source, which should
work, but may lead to more problems than enough, so I wouldn't advise it unless you really
know what you're doing.

I just stick with the line about and do !AC when I want to compile something.

Hope that solves your problem
iain