CVS Build: gnome-libs

I've now successfully obtained the base packages from CVS and I'm trying to
build them. I've got as far as gnome-libs which warned me about the dire
consequences of using the HEAD branch and instructed me, for my own safety,
to:

update -r gnome-libs-1-0

which I duly did. I then ran

./ autogen.sh

which got as far as

./configure: line 536: syntax error near unexpected token
AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)
./configure: line 536: 'AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

Ooer! I'm really, really clueless about GNOME in general but gnome-libs-1-0?
Shouldn't that be, say, gnome-libs-1-2 or something?

MArtin