Re: Reply to author! [Re: Prioritisation of Gnomecomponents/apps/utils]

Ali Abdin wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Himanshu Gohel wrote:
>
> > Shane OConnor - Sun Ireland - Desktop Applications So114533 Middleware -
> > Software Engineer wrote:
> >
> > > I'm testing the Gnome componenets/apps (e.g. gedit, emacs, gcalc, etc)
> > > and am trying to prioritise these Gnome components/apps into set groups
> >  <snip>
> > > If anyone has a preference for certain components to fall into a
> > > particular category please drop me aline - this way i'll be getting a
> >
> > Please note the poster has asked for a personal reply...please do
> > not post your reply to the list...there will be a flood of email!
> > Thanks for being considerate.
>
> I did not interpret 'drop me aline' as 'send me a personal reply' - Sorry.

I respect your interpretation, but to me, if someone says "drop me a
line",
"me" does not imply "everyone on the list".  Would you agree that
if every single gnome-list member sent their priority list, it would be
inappropriate content for the list?  How many replies per day (to this
survey) sent to the list would be OK with you?  5? 20? 50?  My opinion
is
that it is not appropriate to send the replies to this question to the
list.

> He is asking for Sun. Sun is dedicating engineers to do testing on GNOME
> which is a good thing!!! They are probably doing this to prioritize apps
> for their testing purposes. They will probably file bug reports, do
> usability testings, etc. which not many developers do!!! They may also
> fix some bugs (but give them time, they are probably still trying to get
> oriented to this whole GNOME thing).

You speak with such authority for someone else...you must be more
knowledgeable than I am.  I defer to your knowledge.  However, I
received
a personal reply from the author as to the reason for the survey; I was
quite satisfied with it, and sent in my responses.

> I believe we should just stop being paranoid because they are @sun.com -
> If they are helping out, then cool!

If any benefit comes out of this to the GNOME community, kudos to Shane
and Sun.  However, asking the reason for the survey does not make me
(or anyone else) "paranoid".  I clearly stated my reason for asking
was curiosity (please see my original email).

Any followups to this can be directed to me by email, I don't think
the GNOME list will benefit from this discussion.

Himanshu Gohel, gohel csee usf edu