Pan issues

Has anybody else read the pan homepage. It says they lost
a law suit to the RIAA becasue pan enable people to
download and decode mp3 from newgroups. It just seems
kinda sur-real to me becasue this seems even more
removed from piracy than napster and I haven't seen it
in the news anywhere.

Also is Pan part of helix'x distribution? will I be able to
get 0.9 from helix update soon? IS there a way I can tell if
a particular package is part of helix or not?

                               TIA  Don