Re: Nautilus: tried it?

on 10/13/00 6:26 AM, Paul E Johnson at pauljohn ukans edu wrote:

> If you didn't try the test version of Nautilus,
> <http://nautilus.eazel.com/testing/download.html>, go do it.
>
> It has some things that are really neat, such as jpg files on the
> background and inter-networking like crazy.
>
> There are some things that bother me, but perhaps they are things still
> being worked on.  I can't find a way to turn off permanently the
> "thumbnailing" of image files. Because it constantly has to make
> thumbnails, it runs extremely slowly when it gets to a directory that
> has images.  Even after it has made thumbnails, it is still really slow
> to load a directory with lots of pictures. SO I want to turn that
> feature off altogether.

You can turn off the image thumbnailing. In the "Edit <Intermediate or
Advanced> Settings" dialog, choose "Speed Tradeoffs" and choose "Never" for
"Show Thumbnails for Image Files".

> Also, I want detail listing all the time, never icons. But in the hourly
> snapshot 20001013005513, the icon view appears for every directory I go
> into, even though the previous was set at detailed.

It's true that View as Icons is the default for folders. However, every
folder will remember what view you last used in it, so you shouldn't have to
change this for the same folder twice. Also, you can change this default as
follows: In the "View As" popup, choose "View as Other...". You'll get a
dialog that lists the viewer choices for this "file type" (in this case, for
folders). Note that "View as Icons" says "default for 'folder'". Select
"View as List" in this list, then click "Modify..." below. This will let you
specify that View as List should be the default for folders, among other
stuff.

> If you try it, I'd like to hear what you think.  The install
> instructions on their site are quite clear and helpful, no danger there.

We'd love to hear your feedback too. There's a menu item in the Help menu
specifically for sending us feedback. Or you can subscribe to nautilus-list
(see sign-up instructions at http://nautilus.eazel.com) and participate in
Nautilus discussion there.

John Sullivan