Nautilus: tried it?

If you didn't try the test version of Nautilus,
<http://nautilus.eazel.com/testing/download.html>, go do it.

It has some things that are really neat, such as jpg files on the
background and inter-networking like crazy.

There are some things that bother me, but perhaps they are things still
being worked on.  I can't find a way to turn off permanently the
"thumbnailing" of image files. Because it constantly has to make
thumbnails, it runs extremely slowly when it gets to a directory that
has images.  Even after it has made thumbnails, it is still really slow
to load a directory with lots of pictures. SO I want to turn that
feature off altogether.

Also, I want detail listing all the time, never icons. But in the hourly
snapshot 20001013005513, the icon view appears for every directory I go
into, even though the previous was set at detailed.

If you try it, I'd like to hear what you think.  The install
instructions on their site are quite clear and helpful, no danger there.
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu