Re: gnome-session runs differently under gdm?

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:29:01PM +0100, Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:
> Well, talking about Debian: have a look at /etc/gdm/Sessions/Default,
> which is the Gnome startup script after logging in via gdm. This
> should be a link to ./Gnome, and there you may find the lines:
>
>   gnomesession="/usr/bin/gnome-session --purge-delay=15000"
>      [...]
>   if [ -n "$startssh" ]; then
>     exec $sshagent -- $gnomesession
>   else
>     exec $gnomesession
>   fi
>
> This starts gnome-session, which at least on my woody is a binary
> file, not a wrapper script.

Yes, the wrapper is a Progeny-ism until panel supports /etc/gnome
defaults.  I currently stuff editor and sound prefs in there as well, but
that's probably not necessary.

> Further on, the Gnome script sources /etc/gnome/session.option (not
> existent here), maybe you can place your systemwide modifications
> there or source /etc/gnome/default.session there yourself.

Not from startx with xsession set to just run gnome-session, we'd prefer
it to Just Work for people, and this is the best way to make that happen.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd debian org>               GnuPG key 1024D/DCF9DAB3

<Deek> If the user points the gun at his foot and pulls the trigger, it
       is our job to ensure the bullet gets where it's supposed to.