Generic Desktop Icons

A couple weeks ago I installed the latest helixgnome update when logged in as root on my machine. It appeared to install correctly but all desktop icons were converted to generic icons. Nothing I have been able to do will convert them back to the original custom icons. Even if I select one and go to properties and locate the correct icon nothing changes. When I log into my machine as another user the update does not appear to have affected that environment (the menus did not change as they did for the root account and the desktop icons did not go generic on me). I posted this a couple times to the beta list but got no responses that were helpful. If anyone has an idea how this would occur and what I need to do to fix it I would be grateful. Thanks.
--
Regards,

Eric Mings Ph.D.