panel site defaults

I've been working on creating site defaults for panel.  It seems that
there is no mechanism for site defaults in current release versions of
panel.  Nevertheless, I need to be able to, so I've had to investigate
workarounds.

What I have done was take a fresh user by the name of "test" and start up
gnome-session for him.  If I set things up as desired for that and for gmc
(gmc's global default work fine), save .gnome/panel and .gnome/panel.d,
blow away the user's .gnome* .mc and .sawfish*, then put back the panel
stuff, it works fine - the panel comes up as intended and the session
brings up a default Gnome, except with my panel (ie, desired behavior..)

If I then give another user who has not run Gnome before my same panel
configuration, (say knghtbrd in this case), my panel's contents were not
preserved properly.

What do I need to make sure the user gets in order to ensure that the user
gets my defaults, without forcing my settings on them?  Currently I just
leave them alone if they already have panel configuration, but it seems
they need more than just that.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd debian org>               GnuPG key 1024D/DCF9DAB3

Perhaps Debian is concerned more about technical excellence rather than
ease of use by breaking software. In the former we may excel.  In the
latter we have to concede the field to Microsoft. Guess where I want to go
today?
        -- Manoj Srivastava